Tuesday, April 30, 2013

“Chelsea Galleries Reaction”

Sometimes we look at a work of art and realize that we definitely want to have it in our apartment or house. For example when I'm walking through a museum and see a painting that I like I can even imagine it hanging in my living room or in a hallway of my house. This is when I decide that this particular artwork has a value, worth my investment and has to be in my artwork collection.
This time I would like talk about four different art works that I picked from Chelsea Galleries and look at them as if I were an art collector. The first two items I would like to talk about have their own interesting and unique style, and that's why they immediately caught my attention.

The color photograph "Perchten" from Yossi Milo Gallery's series “Wilder Mann” is a very fascinating piece of art. The reason why I would love to have it in my art collection is the idea and style of this artwork. A full-length portrait of a person wearing an animal skin makes this artwork very powerful. The massive figure of a beast or something that looks more like half animal and half human, reminds me of a character from some fantasy movie that I loved to watch when I was a child. Charles Fréger's work is definitely a good investment because of it's unique style and the interesting story behind it that you can create in your own imagination.


The second artwork that I chose for my art collection is "Persian Miniature"painting of a Romanian artist Adrian Ghenie from Pace Gallery. I fell in love with it's complex and abstract style which makes this artwork look even more realistic. The first time I saw it, it looked like a print work to me with an effect of layered, spilled paint. The way it was painted and the colors that were used on it made it look very pleasant to the eye. I would definitely hang this painting in my house right above the fireplace. It's a good investment in artwork that will make your room look cozy and comfortable.

The last two artworks unfortunately will never be able to get in my art collection since they evoked some unpleasant emotions the first time I saw them. They are simply don't worth me making any investments in because I couldn't find anything about them that I like.

Zhang Xiaogang's exhibition attracted my attention but it left me feeling a little unpleasant inside. The real size
sculpture of a baby painted in red made me think of a dead infant that was mummified. I doubt that I'll ever be able to understand the idea of this sculpture. The emotions I felt after seeing it wouldn't let me invest any money in it or keep it in my art collection.


I had the same reaction when I saw a sculpture “Cupid” by Richard Hughes in Anton Kern Gallery. I 'm not even sure if I can call it a sculpture since it looks like a little piece that was left from an original artwork. I would never buy this work of art. If I were to get it as a gift I would keep in my basement because It doesn't evoke any aesthetic emotions that real art is suppose to evoke within a viewer.







1. Yossi Milo Gallery
Charles Fréger
"Perchten,Werfen,Austria"
2010-2011

2. Pace Gallery
Adrian Ghenie
"Persian Miniature"
2013

3. Pace Gallery
Zhang Xiaogang
"Baby #1"
2013

4. Anton Kern Gallery
Richard Hughes
“Cupid”
2013

No comments:

Post a Comment