Tuesday, May 14, 2013

“Public Art Reaction”

Public art is a gift to all of us from amazing talented artists who doesn't mind to share it for free. The greatest thing about public art is that it's accessible to all. New York is filled with beautiful artworks that you cannot just pass by. One of my favorite works of art in a public places is the “LOVE” sculpture on 6th ave in Manhattan. I remember the first time I saw it I instantly “fell in love with it”.
The idea of this public artwork is very simple and deep at the same time. I think that Robert Indiana, the American artists who created this beautiful masterpiece just wanted to remind people that love is very powerful. I think that he also wanted to say that we can make each other happier by spreading free love and positive warming emotions that we experience when we love. Love can be different and what I like about this particular artwork is that it always reminds me of love being the key to everything! “LOVE” sculpture perfectly interacts with it's surroundings, especially in the center of Manhattan. The territory it's placed on has a plenty of space so people can even take group pictures with the giant sculpture. Every time I'm in that area I see people smiling and taking photographs with“LOVE”. Just a thought of how powerful this sculpture is in a sense of emotions it evokes in people makes it very unique and effective. I find this artwork to be a benefit to it's surroundings since I always looked at Manhattan as at business area that mostly has skyscrapers. This particular artwork brings only positive energy to that area and makes it even more popular and attractive to tourists and passers by. The “LOVE” sculpture could fit anywhere in the city. You can't go wrong with this artwork, it would benefit any area of New York by making people smile and enjoying taking pictures with it. We don't need more words to understand what this public artwork is about, each of us can find his own connection with it. We all need some free love in such a tough and sometimes even cold big city like New York and I would be honored to thank Robert Indiana personally for sharing such an amazing artwork with us.

Artist: Robert Indiana
Title: "LOVE" (Sculpture)
Medium: COR-TEN steel
Year: c 1970

No comments:

Post a Comment